Thursday, February 07, 2008

"HELLO AMERICA"

When I stepped off The Ivernia, in Feb.1956
New York displayed the flavor of, its international mix
The liner had docked a little late, at Pier Fifty Two
And I stood and stared, as all emigrants do

People standing by baggage, were all over the place
Trying to recognize or be recognized, by a familiar face
With my Irish Tweed Overcoat and x-rays under my arm
I began to realize, I had little to offer with my Irish Charm

A few moments before, coming up the Hudson River
The Magestic Statue Of Liberty made my body quiver
The Skyscrapers I saw in the movies, were looking down on me
And I realized some more, as to how small I could really be

Then I saw who I was looking for, things began to ease
Arms stretched around each other, enjoying and Irish Squeeze
Nora, had a tear in her eye and I must say, so did I
Two long years had past, when we said “Goodbye”

People still running both on and off the boat
There was I with my love and my Irish Tweed Overcoat
The day was ending fast, as our cab sped up the Highway
I was twisting my neck, wanting to see each and every byway

I looked at Nora’s eyes, as she looked back at mine
We didn’t have to say a word, our eyes were doing fine
My window faced the river, lying as quiet as any lake
Reflecting brilliant lights of a bridge, I thought was fake

Suddenly, that bridge was in view and it took my breath away
I told myself, I could make it here, on this, my very first day
This is just my memory, embedded forever, in my mind
I love you New York City, for being so helpful and so kind


Michael Christopher Daly
October 8th, 2007



No comments: